Thursday, July 16, 2009

I'm in a New York state of mind

Here is a recap of some of the things I did on my excursion to New York...


Brooklyn Bridge - Phenomenal. Love the brilliant stonework, design, and elevated walking path.

Grimaldi's - Good pizza - super thin crust... awesome atmosphere and owner... Just don't ask for breadsticks.

Magnolia's - Their little carmel macadamia nut white chocolate cheesecake is great but heavy and rich... Took the whole trip to eat... I am afraid Amy may be right, "a moment on the lips, forever on the hips" is going to be very true...

Manhattan Temple - The most amazing building in NYC. The interior is exquisite. And it is so quite even in downtown...

The Frying Pan - Good steak sandwich and good Hot Dog (two trips to learn that). I really like their fries. Fun atmosphere as a Pier/Dock on the Hudson. Not necessarily something to go out of the way for, but if you are in the neighborhood having lunch with a friend...

Highline - Impressive path/garden and creative way to reclaim an old, elevated train track.

WTC Ground Zero - My third trip to this location. In '97, I went to the top of the Twin Towers. In '06, I visited ground zero and it looked like there had not been much progress. But now, in '09, I am glad to see that things are moving along. I am also impressed with the plans for the site - both the Freedom Tower and the memorial.

Mets Game - Great new stadium. We sat in section 128, row 6, seats 13 and 14. Fun atmosphere as long as you aren't a Mets fan. Great seats - can't be scared of foul balls though. Really fun. And great prices for food; can't beat $4.75 for a bag of peanuts! Seriously though, fun game.

Horse Drawn Buggy through Central Park from an... um... eccentric guy - need I say more?

Harry's Burritos - So I had high hopes for this place when I read "San Francisco Mission Style Cal-Mex" on the window. My shrimp tacos were good, but no free chips and salsa?!?! Not San Francisco Mission Style in my book.


Bodies Exhibit - Wow, this was incredible. I thought it was well done, beautiful, and educational. I really enjoyed this.

Lunch and Hanging Out on Pier 17 - fun, but I just realized that I didn't get a fortune cookie with my Chinese food...

The Elevated Acre - Gotta be observant in this city... This is a hidden little park on top of a building.

Staten Island Ferry - Nice view and free.

The Wicked Lottery - I know, all lotteries are wicked, right? But we were trying to get into Wicked... no luck there.

Pomodoro Rosso - Outdoor dining on a nice evening. I had the Linguine Frutti Di Mare... it was really good. Just a few buildings away from Harry's and here they had free bread... :)

Studio B and (non) Disco Skating - Um, aside from the fact that they ran out of skates for "disco skating" and didn't play songs - just beats on a loop - it was great... but then again, with no skates and no disco, what's the point of disco skating?

The City Bakery - Good french toast, nice ambiance and interior design, horrible website.

Reading in Central Park

Dinner at Tavern on the Green - Incredible ambiance right in Central Park. Good food. Good time.

Church in the singles ward - Good.

John Lennon Memorial in Central Park - Just as I remember it in '97. Someone made a cool peace sign made of rose petals.

Thanks go to Michelle for having an intership in the Big Apple...

1 comment:

  1. $4.75 for a bag of peanuts? You could have gotten like 18 chicken nuggets for that! (or like 22 at the "classic" price).

    ReplyDelete