Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Rawlins, that R-A-W-L-I-N-S

When you are at the dinner table and would like a soft, warm, round bread product to put butter on and eat with your meal, what do you do? Of course, you say, "please pass me a roll?" And if you were to spell roll, it would be R-O-L-L. And the word "in" is spelled I-N and we know what happens when you put an "s" on the end of a word.

Furthermore, when meat is uncooked it is what? Raw, that's R-A-W, raw.

We all know these things, yet some how when I say, "Hi, my name is Kenny Rawlins" people write down R-O-L-L-I-N-S, rather than R-A-W-L-I-N-S like it sounds. In what universe does that make sense? When I say "Kenny" they may as well write down "F-R-E-D". That makes about the same amount of sense to me. For the record:

R-A-W-L-I-N-S = Raw-l-ins
R-O-L-L-I-N-S = Roll-ins (as in, "I be rollin' in my 'Benz")

I blame the Collins; they prefer it be pronounced "Call-ins" because I don't think they wanted to be called "Coll-ins" because it would sound like "colons". Well, TDB (too dang bad), that is the phonetics of it and you will now have your name pronounced phonetically.

Oh, and BTW, there is no "g" in Rawlins. There is a distinct difference between "Rawlins" and "Rawlings".

2 comments:

  1. i can't say i feel too badly for you. Try have Rissa as a first name. it can be rough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should just change your last name to "Whitney". So should your sister. Whitney Whitney has a nice ring to it.

    ReplyDelete